Monday, May 4, 2009

Easy Placemats

I found this great tutorial on how to make your own place mats over at The How-To Gal:

I am not a seamstress. I wish I was, but I'm not. However, true to How-To Gal's motto, this project is something ANYONE can do. I have wanted place mats for my new table but couldn't find ones that I liked. The time to take the plunge arrived and I made my own! Found two complimentary fabrics and created a double sided masterpiece!

What you need:

  • 1 1/2 Yards of 45" wide fabric two- different kinds (if you want double sided) The amount of fabric depends on the size of place mats you make and the number needed. I made six and had a little of each fabric left over.
  • Rotary Cutter/fabric cutting board
  • Sewing machine
  • Pins
  • Iron
  • 1-2 hours

Let's get started!

Cut fabric into size of place mats you desire. Mine are 16" x 8 "
Pin right sides of fabrics together

Sew around place mats with a 1/4" seam allowance. Don't sew it completely shut, leave 3"-4" open. Helpful hint: leave a side open as opposed to a corner-it's easier to complete the project.

Pull fabric through the hole to reveal the right sides

Sew up the hole

Iron flat. If you would like, sew around the edges again with a complimentary colored top stitch.

Fantastic place mats in the fabric of your choice!
(and yes, we do use mason jars as cups) :)

1 comment: