Monday, February 9, 2009

Freezer Meals

One I have wanted to do for a while but I need to buy a deep freezer 1st. From Crafting Chicks again!


I don't know about many of you, but I have such a hard time deciding what to cook and then having the motivation to actually cook. At our last project group my friend Kristin, was telling us how she and some of her friends had started to make freezer meals so they could save time and money...and not stress about dinner. I jumped on board. So last Saturday night a group of us got together and made 6 meals, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Chicken Parmesana, Chicken Broccoli Casserole, Chicken Rollups, Lasagna rolls, Ham and potatoes, and pulled pork. We got at least 16 meals out of this and it only ended up costing each of us $91.60. I don't know about you, but that is one trip to the grocery store for me if I am loading up.

So here are the details so you can start if you want.

  1. Get a group of girls together. (We had 5 total, I don't know that you would want many more people than that unless you have a large kitchen.)

  2. Have a pre-dinner making meeting to decide what meals you would like to make. Each person should bring their family favorite recipes. As you can see, we made a few chicken things, but tried to incorporate different meats as well.

  3. One person should gather the recipes and make a list of the different ingredients and how much of everything is needed.

  4. Shopping lists are made--We sent a group to Costco (we had two shopping carts full of food), and a group to Wal-Mart to gather supplies.

  5. Each person was given an assignment for prep-work. Mine was to brown the sausage for the Lasagna Rolls. Having the prep-work done helped out so much. It saved us so much time.

  6. Everyone meets together and the labor begins. We got all 6 meals done in 3 hours.

  7. Start over!
Our group has been so excited about this. We have started to plan out what our next meals will be. I think we will get together every other month so that we can have a stocked freezer and a variety of meals.

If you are interested in getting any of the recipes or more information, just let me know. I am so in love with this concept, especially with a baby on the way. Who wants to cook when they have a newborn?

No comments:

Post a Comment